My son discovered basketball this year. In the past Adam had tried to get Judah to watch the Tarheels with him, but Judah couldn't stay interested that long. This year it began. My kids have known from birth that we were Tarheel fans. It was in their blood, but this year it all came out for Judah. Now, those of you who know my son know that he is very...shall we say passionate. There is very little middle ground with him, so when he began to enjoy watching basketball his passion for the Heels nearly out weighed his dad's. He was even more passionate about his favorite player Tyler Hansbrough. In Judah's mind he was the best player that has ever lived.

When we moved to Raleigh in January it became Adam's mission to go to as many games as he could. He went to one with friends, took me to one, and got free tickets to 2 of the women's games. To those he took Judah and Mercy to one and his mom to the other. It was all very fun and we were all content with our basketball experience until the Tarheels made it to the finals.

Adam wanted to go so badly, but settled for watching it on our couch in HD (poor baby). Judah was completely thrilled that we let him stay up to watch the game until he realized that this was Tyler's last game as a tarheel. He didn't overreact he just got this sad look on his face and said “you mean I'll never get to see him play in person?” It made me sad, but I thought he would be able to get over it and he did.

Well, when they won Judah was thrilled, and Adam decided to check him out of school the next day to take him to the Dean Dome for the welcome home celebration. They had so much fun, Father and son, sharing a passion and celebration that might not happen again. I was so happy for them. But Judah's sad face was still on my mind so when we heard of a benefit game Tyler and the other seniors from that team were doing we bought tickets. My baby was going to see Tyler play. I was very happy. Adam even let me take the credit for this one since he got to take him to the celebration.

Adam got in line 3 hours early because the players were supposed to sign autographs for 30 minutes before the game. We met him there and we all waited and talked with the people around us and made the best of it. It looked like we were sure to get in for the autographs, but then...They started lining up the people with VIP tickets to go in first. There was nothing about this on the game website so I was NOT happy. We were still hoping but we talked to Judah and prepared him that he may not get his jersey autographed. He was sad, but ok. Well, after they let in the VIPs they opened all the general admission gates and people were jumping lines and running and acting crazy. Mercy was scared so Adam took her to sit down and I stood in line with Judah and realized that it really wasn't going to work. We were just too far back in line. Then I heard Adam say "throw me Judah's jersey." I was confused, but I did, and I saw him throw it over the side of the bleachers.

I got out of line and asked what was going on. He said, "Jerry made it through." Jerry was the really nice man standing behind us in line. How he got past us, I don't know. The thing was, I knew Jerry had a ball he wanted signed, and they were only allowing one autograph per person, so I was still sad until...Jerry came to sit down with us and gave Judah his jersey. I didn't see it at first, but when I heard Judah scream I knew what had happened. Jerry, when faced with an unexpected, and last minute decision, chose my son over himself.

What no one knew at that point was that momma had been praying. I knew how much Judah would love to have a Hansbrough autograph. Adam and I had even looked at buying one on-line, but they are so expensive. So since we moved to Raleigh I had been praying a simple prayer, “Lord, it would be really cool if Judah could get that autograph. If you want to do something for me, do this for him.” In that line, I thought the answer to my prayer was no. I was ok, but it was just something I really wanted to do for my baby. And as I stood there fighting tears, Jerry made a choice. I'm sure he thought he was just doing something nice for a kid, but he was really an answer to a prayer.

I'm coming to understand more and more that in our lives it is the little things that matter most. A lot of people say “don't sweat the small stuff,” but I disagree. It is the small stuff that we do, the random acts of kindness that mean the most to others. You would never think that a guy getting Judah's jersey signed would show me how much God loves me, but it did. So the next time you want to show your love, stick with the small stuff. It says the most.