As christians we go through times of struggle and suffering. It is just a fact. A lot of times people ask (myself included) if God is on my side why did “this” happen? Whatever your “this” is I'm sure you feel in some way like you should have been protected from it. But God knows the end of a thing from the beginning. He sees what we can't. The closest I have ever come to making sense of it all is this simple story...

My son was 3. He got strep throat all the time, and he snored...loudly. His pediatrician said he had a child's version of sleep apnea. We went to an ENT and he said Judah's tonsils and adenoids had to come out. So my little boy had surgery and when we were called back to his recovery room I could hear him screaming from down the hall. We I got to his room he was standing on the bed jumping up and down holding his throat and crying his eyes out. I grabbed him and held him and felt awful that he hurt so bad. The worst of it was knowing that I allowed him to go through this pain. I felt so guilty, but I knew that this short time of pain would result in a better life for my baby. Nights of peaceful rest, no more sore throats...a completely different life, because he went through this. You see I could see the end from the beginning and the middle and the end. I got him calmed down and I kept telling him I know it hurts, but it is going to make things so much better.

I think God does that with us. We stand there kicking and screaming saying it hurts...make it STOP! But our loving Father, with the end in sight, says, “I know, but things are going to be so much better, when the pain is over.” But we don't listen often enough and sometimes we just stand there holding on to our pain, wondering why, why, why. I think if we could see past our pain we would see a Father waiting to soothe our wounds and help us through until the end. I was able to help Judah. I calmed him and gave him comfort until the pain was over. And I was there watching as he slept without trouble and went through a winter without strep. The end was here, and if he could remember it all, I think he would be grateful for that short time of pain because it has already made such a difference in his life.

The best thing I can tell you is if you are going through a time of pain, take comfort now in God's love and know that when it is over....